Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

One billion and five hundred forty million

Today I learned my height in nanomillimeters: 1,540,000,000. Wow, that's a lot of zeroes, I feel taller! I should remember this and start writing it down when forms asks for my height :)


***

I started my day by getting settled in my new work space. Since I will spend a lot of time at the Spark!Lab and Invention at Play, I was stationed at one of the Lemelson's offices at the1st floor, where those two exciting places are located. I am sharing an office space with Steve Madewell, Interpretive Exhibits Coordinator and resident mad scientist/eccentric/jack of all trades of the Lemelson Center- I heard a rumor that he can even create a time machine! I should add that our office also doubles as a workshop for Steve's masterpieces. I remember that about a decade ago, I wanted to buy power tools so I can make my own furniture - so I was quite excited to see all the power tools, nuts and bolts, and unbelievable science knick knacks we are allowed to tinker with!
Tricia was nice enough to invite me to sit through their regular staff meeting. After more introductions, the meeting went under way and I learned what projects the staff recently wrapped, are currently working on and what else are coming down the pipe.
In the afternoon, I joined a Teacher's Workshop on inventiveness that Tricia facilitated for a couple of teachers from Virginia. After a brief lecture on the history, mission-vision and activities of the Lemelson Center, Tricia divided the teachers into three groups. She handed each group an envelope containing invention patent documents and a couple of images. The group was tasked to determine what the invention is, how and what it is used for and try to piece together the story of how it was invented. I think that this is a very good activity to help the participants grasp the concept of inventiveness/creativity as illustrated by the featured inventor and his/her invention. It also challenges our common notion that inventors are old men with white hair, a beard and round-rimmed glasses. The main message of the activity is that we all can be inventors!
Then the teachers were led downstairs and allowed to explore on their own the Invention at Play exhibit. We all met up at the Spark!Lab after about half an hour, and the teachers continued to explore the space.
Some of the teachers exploring the "What now activity"
When Spark!Lab closed to public at 4pm, Tricia commenced the last activity that demonstrated the invention process: Think it! Explore it! Sketch it! Create it! Try It! Tweak it! Sell it! The teachers were asked to form three new groups. This time, Tricia handed each group a bag containing an assortment of materials. But each group's set of materials are different from the others'. The task is for each group to think of a challenge that their materials could solve and then create that solution - all in under 15 minutes and with only the materials they have!
The teachers brainstorming for ideas
An eco-friendly water filter device for camp sites
A floating shower and toilet for boats
A a garbage/recycling bin that can be attached to students' desks
After the workshop, I sat down with Steve to brainstorm about what activity I could come up with for the Lemelson. I have previously told him about designing and making roller-coasters in my last class this summer (read about that by clicking here), he felt that that could be an idea we could pursue. Wow, my summer course on Science Instruction for Informal Setting is truly coming in handy! I am extremely excited about making a prototype of the rollercoaster activity!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...